There seems to be a debate about the source of personal SWOT analysis. There is a lot of confusion with regard to its creation. However, it is a popularly used tool the world over. Individuals & businesses alike use it to evaluate the following:
1. Strengths: Deriving some advantages over others by possessing a few characteristics
2. Weaknesses: disadvantages over others due to the presence of some characteristics.
3. Opportunities: Gain a better advantage by using the latest technologies & trends.
4. Threats: Obstacles that hinder career growth.
Why carry out a Personal SWOT Analysis
It is important to choose a job which you will enjoy performing. But the question is how to find a job that matches perfectly your skillset, preference & good pay! Using this tool will allow you to evaluate your weaknesses & strengths. Accordingly, you can search for a career that will fit you as well as your employer.
How to carry out an individual analysis?
You can use an easily available standard template or come up with your matrix. Follow the basic steps given below to carry out a personal analysis.
1. Evaluate strengths:
Answer the following questions honestly as it will determine your actual strengths.
- Can someone in the industry be ready to vouch for your abilities & skills?
- What certification do you possess?
- How can you benefit the company?
- Do you have the right expertise & education to do the job?
- What have you achieved to date at work?
2. Evaluate your weaknesses:
Answer the following questions honestly as it will determine your actual weaknesses.
- What particular skills or education do you lack?
- Are there some tasks that you prefer to pass off or avoid?
- Have you inculcated some bad habits like not following instructions, being late or absent, having an attitude, poor communication, etc.?
- Do you miss out on deadlines?
- How do you manage stress & demands at work?
3. Identify opportunities:
Using Personal SWOT Analysis, you can identify opportunities everywhere. However, it depends on individual desire & personality. Staying positive will help you to enjoy more opportunities. You can search for opportunities like:
- Can others be of help on the web?
- Can you gain expertise from some advanced technology?
- How can you contribute towards your team members & company’s growth?
- Is there some position lying vacant that matches closely with your strengths & skills?
- Are there conducted classes or seminars that you can avail of to enhance your knowledge & skills?
- Are you ready to volunteer to help with projects or tasks?
4. Get to know your threats:
Evaluating this factor will help you to know your stumbling blocks which may hamper career growth. Ask the following questions:
- Who are your competitors?
- Does your position require you to upgrade with any new technology or expertise?
- Is some other co-worker applying for the same promotion or position?
- Are you not aware of the latest trends or considered too old for the job?
- Are your present personality traits not allowing you to flourish in your job?
- Are your skills no longer in use?
When to carry out a Personal SWOT Analysis?
There is no specified timeline for you to carry out this analysis. You can perform it if you plan to do the following:
- Change careers
- Avail different opportunities or posts within the current company
- Preparing for an interview
- To make yourself more aware of yourself to avail of all available opportunities.
Doing self-analysis will help reveal your weaknesses & strengths. You can do the needful to convert your weaknesses into potential strengths. Hence, doing a Personal SWOT Analysis will help you to progress both in your career & life.